Monday, November 24, 2014

POQUI-POQUI: A Dish for Vegetarians

By Pauline Saballo


As you can see on my past blog posts, I have always talked about food, right? I always feature Ilocano viands that are perfect with rice. And those dishes are always accompanied with meat. That thought made me think. Is there an Ilocano dish that does not include meat? Is there any Ilocano dish that is best suited for vegetarian people?

As I wonder through the beautiful places of Ilocos, I successfully found an answer to that question. I heard that Ilocanos have this native dish called POQUI-POQUI. It sounds really weird, most especially for Filipino locals. (Hahahahaha) It may even look weird for some people. See the picture on the side? Thanks to those thoughts, it made me think whether I am going to eat this food or not.

What I did before trying this food was to research about it, thanks to Google. After researching about this food, I realized that this dish was pretty simple. Poqui-poqui is just an eggplant dish sautéed with onions, tomatoes and eggs. It seems similar to omelet. I even thought that I could even try cooking this at home.

Poqui-poqui is indeed a simple dish. That’s what most people would think.  But don’t mock this dish! It may only have common ingredients or may not have meat, but this dish is truly delicious. When I finally decided to try this dish when I was in Ilocos, it was truly worth it. It was prepared and cooked the Ilocano way which made the dish to be sooooo yummy! I swear I am going to try to cook this dish someday and I hope that it would taste good too. J


Poqui-poqui is truly a pleasure for not only vegetarians, but for everyone. This dish made me realize that a dish can still taste good even when there’s no meat. If you think that this dish does not look good, I hope you would still try it. Why? Because it tastes reaaaaally good. And I have been saying that for a lot of times in this post. Well, that only shows you how delightful this Ilocano dish called Poqui-poqui is (even though it is only simple, meatless and unattractive at first sight).


No comments:

Post a Comment